Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Festival of Quilts

Why hello there! In my last post I mentioned that a few folks including Steph, Jemma and I were heading up to the Quilt show at the NEC, Birmingham to get some inspiration (and some goodies!).

I've been busy decorating these past few days so thought I'd take a break from the painting (pictures soon!) to share my little haul.


Having already subscribed to the rather brilliant new 'Quilt Now' magazine before it's launch last month, I couldn't resist the offer of another subscription to 'Love Patchwork and Quilting' for an unbelievable £3 for 3 issues! Having had a look through the latest issue I'm quite sure it'll be full of plenty to add to the 'To Do' list!

Freebies wise I was given a great 'Love Craft' tote bag for subscribing plus a little handmade flower brooch kit, then just around the corner the lovely folks from 'The Warm Co.' were giving away whole metre samples of their insulating batting. It keeps hot hot and cold cold so will get my thinking cap on for ideas for the best use of that one.


I was trying very hard to stick to items from my list but when I spotted this fat quarter from 'The Eternal Maker' I couldn't help myself. I first clocked it a year ago and it's been sitting on my 'Fabric' Pinterest board ever since. I wasn't sure it was still available so it was a must. It's a gorgeous jolly print called 'Laddies and Poppets' by Michele Brummer Everett for Cloud9.


I found a pretty good coral colour match to use with the Eloise Renouf 'Bird and Branch' fabric which I had already purchased for my Bedroom. I'm planning on creating a single horizontally striped curtain panel to be hooked up on one side (more on that later).


Lastly fabric wise I got myself quite the bargain -a HUGE piece of miscellaneous mint coloured dressmaking fabric for £2 (think that one's destined for a 'Riding Peplum' dress by April Rhodes) a metre of lovely mint texture print cotton for £5.75 and a good chunk of grey floral cotton for some sort of blouse for £3.50.

I've had my eye on a hexie die cutter for some time so treated myself to a 1.5" to use with the 'Big Shot' we have at the store and also found some great little pre-cut plastic templates to take a little of the preparation fuss out of paper piecing (Yes... I'm really lazy!).

Whilst browsing the sissix stall I was lucky enough to get to have a little chat with the lovely Lynne Goldsworthy, whose quilt is featured on the cover of the magazine above. I thoroughly recommend having a look at her blog 'Lily's Quilts' as it's a wealth of useful information and inspiration.

A couple of buttons for good measure (grey, of course) and there we have it! A great day was had! ...now back to painting.

4 comments:

  1. And lovely to meet both of you Flurry ladies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Insulbright to make pot holders and trivets and I've been really pleased with it. (Last Christmas everyone in my entire family got pot holders.)

    That Laddies and Poppets print is so adorable. Do you know what you're going to make with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's one of those fabrics which may be destined to stay in the stash forever as it's so cute I can't bring myself to use it. I'm sure the perfect project will come along but I'll be waiting for just the right one! ...great idea with the pot holder Christmas pressies! I was pondering lunch bags.

      Delete
    2. I know how that feels! Some things are too wonderful to cut. :)

      The pot holders were great because they came together quickly. Lunch bags is also a great idea!

      Delete